Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Fashion For the Rocking Chair Set...LOL

I lovelovelove the blogs I read regularly (more about that in a few), but they give me bad ideas...written by stylish women mostly under the age of 35, the approach doesn't fully translate to we gorgeous gals in our 50's and up.

It's a popular notion to think of Buffalo, NY as a fashion wasteland; in fact, a recent article I read extracted from GQ Magazine lists 'Beau Fleuve' as number 25 in a list of the 40 worst-dressed cities in America. Also overdone is the concept of Buffalo as a snowy wasteland. But I digress...

Growing up in Buffalo in the 60's & 70's did not hinder my love affair with fashion. As a teenager I read whatever I could get my hands on, and tried to duplicate some of the looks or DIY my own clothing for a personal stamp. I had a pen pal in France who mailed me 3 to-die-for huge, glossy magazines featuring the likes of Givenchy, Balmain & Chanel. Heady stuff for a 16 year old.

I was not the disco dive type at the time although I certainly admired the lithe figures of such iconic babes as Bianca Jagger and Diana Ross in their slinky, voluminous jumpsuits. Haute Hippie was more my style as I embroidered my required denim 'work shirt' as they were called at the time. I made my own jewelry and wore a peacock feather I had purchased for 35 cents (!). There was also the pair of jeans that I sewed V-shaped inserts of fabric into at the outer hem up to the knee to create extreme wide flares.

So here I am in the 2100's-plus and in my 50's with fashion embracing my formative years with a fury previously unknown...

Pardon my nostalgia...if only I had those jeans again! The point is, we attain an age and self-awareness that necessitates both a positive presentation of ourselves as women of the world, and as women of a certain age. Roughly translated, this means (at least to me) that I dress myself as an adult - not a hippie teenager!

No comments:

Post a Comment